By Anke Henrich
Access to third markets outside the EU is crucial to the high-export mechanical engineering sector. The figures underline the importance of free trade for wealth in Germany and the EU.
- Mechanical engineering companies in Germany exported machinery and systems worth 224 billion euros in 2018.
- German machinery exports to euro partner countries rose by 6.3 percent, while those to the EU-28 grew by 6.6 percent.
- The Polish market achieved a record 17 percent growth among the 20 most important markets in 2018.
- World machinery trade between the 52 most important countries for machinery exports reached 1,061 billion euros in 2017 (6.7 percent more than 2016).
- Worldwide machinery turnover in 2018 was 2.6 trillion euros (up 4 percent compared to the previous year).
- With turnover of 297 billion euros, Germany reinforced its position as the third-largest machinery producer (up almost 4 percent).
- 60 percent of German machinery imports in 2018 came from its EU neighbors, with Italy leading the way (accounting for 9.2 percent of all machinery imports to Germany).
- 35% of mechanical engineering exports already go to countries with high import barriers.
- German exports secure 8.4 million jobs.
- The export quota for mechanical and plant engineering in Germany last year was 79.2%.